Berwyn District Civic Association Thursday, May 20, 2010
1. Agenda Item 1. Introductions. Kevin Young, President of the BDCA, called the meeting to order at 8 p.m..
2. Agenda Item 2. Roll call for officers. In addition to President Kevin Young, other BDCA Board members were in attendance: Vice President Pitt and Director †Anzulovic.
3. Agenda Item 3. Approve minutes from 2010 meeting. A motion was made by Jack Perry and seconded by Jerry Anzulovic to accept the minutes as posted from April 2010ís meeting into the permanent record. Motion Carried
4. Agenda Item 4. Treasurerís report. Kevin Young gave the Treasurerís report as the Treasurer was not in attendance. The previous balance was $3,497.61. †A deposit of $946.70 was made since the last report. The balance as of May 20, 2010, was $3,983.88. A motion was made by Mr. Perry and seconded by Mr. Anzulovic to accept treasurerís report subject to audit.
5. A motion was made, seconded, and passed to suspend the normal order of business in order to allow the guest speaker to speak.
6. Agenda Item 5. Special guest: Bob Ryan Director of Public Services and Lieutenant Keliti City of College Park contract Police. †Mr. Ryan gave an overview of the responsibilities of the contract police.† Mr. Ryan also announced that one of the cities strategic initiatives for the upcoming year will be to reinvigorate the neighborhood watch program.† He stated that Berwyn has one of the best N.W. groups in the city and pointed to our successful Halloween night patrols.† Mr. Ryan provided handouts and encouraged members to visit the cities website for more information.†† Lt. Keliti addressed the membership and provided details of recent events.† Contract officers perform an average of 100 traffic stops a week.† These stops yield a high number of citations and also result in many arrests for non traffic related crimes, i.e.: open warrants, weapon & drug charges, etc. †These traffic stops would not occur with the standard countyís force presence.†† Contract officers are also used to saturate areas that have experienced higher than normal crime activity. †President Young relayed the frustration with the number of car break-ins within the neighborhood and asked for enhanced patrols between 2 and 6 a.m...†† Mr. Ryan was asked by an audience member if there has been a decrease in crime since the contract program began and if statistics for the city were available. Mr. Ryan stated that overall crime has decreased in the county.† A breakdown within the city limits is not available, however, the county police website does provide statistics for the various patrol areas or ďbeatsĒ.† Councilmember Perry asked about the MOA with the county police (audio tape stop). No answer recorded.† †President Young relayed complaints about loud vehicles, and speeding in the 5000 block of Berwyn Road.† President Young asked for more evening and night time traffic enforcement.† Mr. Ryan invited those interested to apply for a ride along with an officer.
7. NEW BUSINESS Association member L Imhoff suggested a full review of the N.W. listserve member list. President Young agreed and will add to BOD agenda for action.
8. Reports† President Young reported that the Washington Post has finally sent the association a check for last yearís Berwyn Day.† He also commented on the robust condition of the treasury and thanked Marina Dulnig(not present) and Harry Pitt for their outstanding† efforts in fundraising and personal support over the last year.
END OF TAPE
The meeting was adjourned at 9:50 pm.
Victoria Mc Donald