Berwyn District Civic Association

Thursday, February 21, 2013

1. Agenda Item 1. Officers Present. Officers present were President Kevin Young, 1st Vice President Harry Pitt, Recording Secretary Liesl Koch, Treasurer Lori Young, Board of Director Michele Garnes, and Berwyn News Editor Elizabeth Kuligowski.

2. Agenda Item 2. Treasurer’s Report. Treasurer Lori Young reported that as of February 21, 2013, there was a balance of $4,202.76 (which includes $1,770 of camera funds). This balance is derived from a January balance of $4,217.65, less

$134.89 for Minuteman Press (for one month of the newsletter), plus $120.00 in deposits (the deposits being mostly from 8 memberships). A motion to accept the financial report was made, seconded, and passed.

3. Agenda Item 3. Minutes from Last Meeting. A motion to accept the minutes from the January 2013 meeting was made, seconded, and passed.

4. Agenda Item 4. Branchville Volunteer Fire Company’s Chief Ricky Leizear. Chief Ricky Leizear from the Branchville Volunteer Fire Company gave an update on recent decisions made with respect to the Fire Company. Beginning March 4th, there will no longer be any paid daytime staff at the fire company, although there may be volunteers. The County has determined that a fire station is “duplicating services” if residences it serves are within a 7-minute trip from another fire company. The Branchville unit is close to #14 and the College Park unit. Some concern was expressed that it doesn’t make sense to reduce the number of firefighting units at a time the City is growing. If you disagree with the County’s decision, you can write to County Executive Rushern Baker. The Branchville unit

averages 4,400 ambulance calls a year. There were 6 fire calls just today, between
7am and 3pm. There are currently 5 firefighters living at the station; when Chief
Leizear started there in 1992, there were 14.

5. Agenda Item 5. Special Guest: Russell Robinette. President Young officially thanked Mr. Russell Robinette, on behalf of BDCA, for working in the community to help maintain its appearance and keep it free of trash. The community owes a debt of gratitude to Mr. Robinette, who was presented with a gift from the community. Refreshments were afterwards served.

6. Agenda Item 6. New Business. There was no new business.

7. Agenda Item 7. Unfinished Business. There was no unfinished business from the previous meeting.

8. Agenda Item 7. Councilman Monroe Dennis’ Report. City Councilman Monroe Dennis reported on the development project for the Koon’s Ford property. There were representatives of the project at the Lakeland community meeting not long ago. The representatives envision traffic entering the site, which will be a hotel, from Berwyn House Road. Concerns about the use of Pontiac as a cut-through for hotel guests and employees, and related parking problems, were expressed. Councilmen Dennis and Catlin will raise the issue of traffic to the City before the plans go to Park & Planning.

9. Agenda Item 9. Other. Mayor Andrew Fellows, who was in attendance, stated he believes nothing is scheduled in front of the City Council related to the Koon’s property development. He suggested that the community take a formal position about our traffic concerns. The City’s planning staff and City Council will review the plans and either recommend approval or not, or perhaps approval contingent on certain conditions being met. So we should let the City know if we have any objections. After it leaves the City, it goes to the County Planning Board, so there’s yet another opportunity to raise any concerns we might have.

Various problems were brought up by different meeting attendees. One
observed that employees of some of the commercial establishments nearby tend to park in our neighborhood because the business doesn’t provide enough parking for its own employees. Another stated that the Clarion does not keep its property outside the fence clean, and mentioned other problems that she has reported numerous times. Some of the problems might be a matter for the Code Enforcement people. Another neighbor brought up the problem with parking; she’s concerned the hotel’s parking will be used by people who want to party in the neighborhood. Another neighbor said she was still interested in getting permit parking for her street, and asked people to sign her petition.
The Mayor gave an update on the charter school application numbers.
An attendee who is serving on a committee about the City’s farmers market announced that the committee had conducted a survey of what people want in the City’s farmers market; they want bigger and better vendors. The committee has identified someone to run it.
The Mayor said that the University had agreed to expand their jurisdiction of its code of student conduct. It now will include some College Park neighborhoods and could eventually be expanded city-wide. Discussion ensued about a recent party in the neighborhood that was attended by so many people that it was frightening for some of the neighbors.
The Mayor said that at its next meeting the City Council was almost certain to approve the creation of the Jack Perry Award.
Senator Rosapepe, who was in attendance, discussed the developments in the University’s decision to start enforcing its code of student conduct more. President Loh wanted to expand the jurisdiction of its enforcement only to those off-campus neighborhoods where campus police have concurrent jurisdiction with County police. But he has agreed to expand it to the new high-rise apartment buildings on
Route 1, to Lakeland, and to Crystal Springs. What they’re currently exploring is the proposal that, if County police and the noise officers were called, if those individuals could themselves write up students for the campus judicial process. The campus police can write them up. This could finally have an impact.
Senator Rosapepe announced that on Monday, February 25th, the 21st delegation is having an open house night in Annapolis, from 6pm to 8pm. A bus from College Park will take anyone who wants to attend.

10. Agenda Item 10. Councilman Bob Catlin’s Report. City Councilman Bob Catlin announced that the FishNet restaurant is trying to obtain a beer and wine license. The East Campus project is essentially dead. The University is aiming for smaller things to do that would improve the City.

11. Agenda Item 11. Other. Resident Marina Dullnig gave a short presentation on CERT, which stands for Community Emergency Response Team. She has taken the course and encourages others to do so as well. The purpose of it is to be prepared for and be able to train others in a disaster or emergency of some kind.

2
She is going to write a short article about it for the newsletter.
More discussion about concurrent jurisdiction ensued. A motion was made, seconded, and passed to authorize our Civic Association to write a letter to President Loh requesting that concurrent jurisdiction and application of the Student Code of Conduct be extended to Berwyn. Councilman Catlin said that concurrent jurisdiction could come with a special tax; they’re looking at ways to have the City help pay for it. It could entail an increase in taxes of $30 to $40 a year for everyone in the concurrent jurisdiction.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:50pm.

Meeting Attendees (from sign-up sheet):

Gail Anzulovic Jerry Anzulovic Bob Catlin Kathy Cregar Monroe Dennis Marina Dullnig Lily Fountain
Michele Garnes Harvey Himmelfarb Doug Hunter
Liesl Koch
Bob Kuligowski Elizabeth Kuligowski Richard Leizear
Casey Leins
Victoria MacDonald Beth McAllister Brian McAllister Karen Pasta Thomas Pasta Harry Pitt
Karen Robinette Russell Robinette Maria Sheppard Chad Stern Nataire Tomlin Forrest Tyler Sandra Tyler
Liesl Koch, Recording Secretary, BDCA
3